Club Mission & History
The primary purpose of the Stanford Faculty Club is to promote the social interaction and intellectual interest of its members through social and educational activities and provide a common gathering place for broad Stanford University community interaction, meetings, and facilities for dining and receptions.
Founded on March 11, 1908, the original Faculty Club was in the Arboretum and burned to the ground in the 1960's. The new and current building was built with a $1,000,000.00 contribution from the Lucie Stern Foundation and allocated by the fund Trustee, Walter A. Haas. Mr. Haas was the Board Chairman of Levi Strauss & Co. The building was designed by San Francisco architect Edward B. Page and the two level structure covers a surface area of 26,000 square feet. It was dedicated on Oct. 1, 1965 in an informal ceremony presided by University President, Wallace Sterling.